Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Go Big or Go Home

The plan might blow up in my face, but the good news is that I have one. 

This all came about after I realized that the following events had or will shortly occur: As of June 14, I have been temping/working as a receptionist for my employer for a year; I celebrate my “official” one year anniversary with my employer tomorrow; I’ve been speaking to my manager off and on about transitioning into another position within the company since November and I know a smidgen more now than I did ten months ago; I have been in the process of consolidating my student loans since May and while Direct Loans calculates my income contingent payments, I’ve been asked to pay just the monthly interest on most (not all) of my student loans which amounts to $1,316.33 per month; after taxes and other deductions, I make about $1,800 per month; a month ago I signed up for eHarmony.  I have gone out on one date since then and the guy was very nice, but seemed to experience rolling bouts of physical and verbal manifestations of nervousness (see: blank stares and rapid blinking during prolonged pauses, and occasional stuttering); I haven’t been laid in nearly a year and considering the standard Portland Dude makes my lady parts retreat further inside of me – I don’t see my Sahara spell ending any time soon;  earlier this week I spoke with a cashier at Trader Joe’s who is thinking about applying to law school and I realized that my brain has started to atrophy, which gave me some motivation to retake the bar; and, the initial plan was to take a month off to study for and take the Oregon bar and then spend a long weekend in Chicago to recover.

Here is the most recent version of the plan – if I’m still in my current position next January, I’m going to take the July 2012 Illinois bar.  There’s a February 1 deadline to apply for the July bar, so once I shell out the $700 to take the test plus the extra $895 to $3,375 for the prep course there’s no turning back. 

So, folks, come 2013 this girl could be Chicago bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment