Saturday, October 22, 2011

HEY! I'M WALKIN' HERE!!!

Earlier this week a car rolled into me while I was crossing the street, since then my inner Bronxite has broken out of its shackles and there is no turning back.  Today I had my own version of a Midnight Cowboy scene while heading home from Fred Meyer's.

There isn't a traffic light where NW 20th Place meets NW Everett Street, but there is a pedestrian crossing light.~  The genius with a disabled parking permit hanging from their rear view mirror* tried to turn onto Everett without stopping.  I mucked things up, because I was in the intersection.

I still had three or four seconds left even though the pedestrian crossing light was flashing.^  So, when you didn't stop before pulling onto Everett and honked your horn while pointing to the pedestrian crossing light - I felt justified in doing the glare/finger shaking combo while yelling at YOU to stop.

Huh.  On the other hand, I feel like I should thank you and the woman who hit me on Tuesday for fulling introducing me to the world of pedestrian road rage.



~There is a light for the traffic driving east on NW Everett, but not for the traffic turning onto to Everett from NW 20th Place.  I don't get it either, but I'm assuming that it's a cost saving measure that assumed the traffic on 20th Place would come to a complete before turning onto Everett.

*I get it.  You can't be bothered to remove your disabled parking placard from your rear view mirror even when you're driving.  (You think you're too busy and important.  After all, how dare a pedestrian cross the street when you want to drive through a stop sign without stopping, right?)  Well, as someone who's parents have had disabled parking permits for the better part of two decades - I know that you're supposed to remove the placard from your rear view mirror when driving your vehicle.  In case you missed it while applying for the placard, I'd like to redirect your attention to the DMV Instructions and Regulations for Disabled Person Parking Permit.  Please read the Parking Regulations section.  Actually, you don't even have to read the entire section.  Just read the last sentence of the first paragraph.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

^If you've been lucky enough to walk anywhere with me, you'd know that three or four seconds is all I need to cross the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment