Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Other People's Money

No, I'm not talking about the 1991 Danny DeVito film.

I'm talking about my new found motivation for losing weight.  Yeah, okay, there's all of the normal motivations like living healthier, looking better naked, and an increased likelihood that I can talk someone into seeing how much better I look naked.

However, it appears that I'm the kind of girl who needs a competition with a prize.  A cash prize.  And, it's even better when that cash prize is - you guessed it - other people's money.

People at my company have had their own version of The Biggest Looser for the past few years.  There's been a group of about ten folks who have participated every year.  A mass e-mail went out this morning announcing the start of a new round that kicks off today and runs through July. 

There's a $10 buy in and a weekly fee of $1 for each week that a person gains or maintains their weight.  The winners are based on the percentage of weight lost.*  Second place gets $10 and first places gets everything else.

When I signed up this morning around 10 a.m. there was a $150 pot.

The way I figure it is that I already have plans to go shopping at the outlets^ in mid-June, so if I lose even a little weight this little competition is going to better justify all of my shopping.~


*If Person A weights 110 pounds and loses 5 pounds during the competition - they would have lost 4.5 percent - and Person B weighs 200 pounds and loses 8 pounds - losing 4 percent of their body weight.  Person A would win.

^Women love outlets.  I have a uterus, therefore I also love the outlets.

~Bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment