Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Feminine Side of Recycling

I’m an Oregonian.  I’m supposed to recycle.  I don’t know if I’m supposed to be crazy when it comes to recycling, but I am. 

When I had roommates, I used to pick through both the trash and the recycling and resort it.  The roommates might have been from another country or another state, or just didn't understand the concept of recycling.  

If I saw aluminum foil or a glass bottle in the trash - I'd clean it out and put it in with the recycling. 

When plastic bottles and tin cans were put in the recycling and still covered with chocolate sauce or ketchup - I'd clean them and put them back in the recycling or set the bottles with deposits to side so I could place them out separately for the folks who would otherwise pick through our trash.

Well, that was until things got more and more ridiculous, and the crazy roommate started pulling things from the recycling bin and putting it in the trash and removing the bottles deposits labels so the deposits couldn't be collected.

I just couldn't take it any more.  So, I left things in the trash and threw the soiled recyclables away.

Now that I'm living on my own in an apartment building that means that my crazy recycling ways pop up in other ways. 

My building has a dumpster for trash, another dumpster for mixed paper, a small bin for glass, and a large bin for all the other recyclables.  Everything's labeled, but I find trash bags in with the mixed paper recycling among other things...

Today I found an empty ergonomic vibrator package - made for women by women - in the wrong recycling bin, so I moved it and the empty protein shake bottle into the the right bin.

Although, I'm glad my neighbors are taking their sexual satisfaction into their own hands while they thin down, I still really wish people would learn how to read freakin' signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment