Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bagh to restlessness! Bring me a BEER!


The restlessness that I seem to be going through right now is more than I can handle.  I moved last weekend and now that I’m out of the stressful environment that was living with three other women, I don’t even know what to do with myself.  I could finish unpacking.  I could finally take off the chipped and flaking nail polish.  I could start shaving random parts of my body.  Again.  Instead, I've decided to apply to a job at a neighborhood bar.

If I had my act together, I’d probably start studying for the Oregon State Bar.  Actually, if my life was in order, I would have already passed that damned thing.  I just wish that I could get as pumped about spending the next five years of my life in Oregon…  If I could do that then I would have no problem finding the motivation to take the bar.  I wouldn’t say that I enjoy sitting through a two-day test, but the only real motivation that I can muster revolves around not having to tell the people who love and support me that I’ve failed yet again.  How is it that the smart girl – the one who went to law school and graduated in the top 50 percent of her class – can’t seem to figure out the next step in her life?

I just spent the past 30 minutes trolling through Craig’s List to see what kind of jobs are out there for Legal Assistants and Paralegals.  I figured that if I could make the move into a legal environment in Oregon then maybe I could see myself developing and building a career here.  The problem is that despite my legal education and vast work experience in all things not legal, I either don’t have the five plus years of experience that some positions require or I’d have to take a substantial pay cut to make the move from my current receptionist gig to that of a junior paralegal or discovery clerk.

Huh.  Maybe I just figured out why working at a bar seems like such a wonderfully fabulous idea – not only would it be a great way to meet other people in the neighborhood, but it’d also provide me with a convenient place to drink while I figure out if I’m going through my thrisis early or I’m just going through a crisis about turning thirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment