Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why, Technology? Why?!?!?!

Yesterday my personal e-mail was hacked.  I’m assuming that it happened when I clicked on a SPAM message from an ex-boyfriend a month or so ago that promised to show me aerial photos of the current conflict in the Middle East.  Of course, he was a recent ex and we had gone on a talking hiatus a few weeks before that, so I really, really wanted to know what was so important that he’d break the silence. 
                                                                                                                                                                                         
You may need a little back story.  The problem was that I really, really liked this guy.  I liked him more than I had liked anyone in six years.  He broke down all my barriers.  Something about him made me feel vulnerable, but protected.  It was him and me against the world, and I couldn’t have been happier.  As it turns out, I may have been the only one who felt that way.

Eventually, I was able to piece together bits and pieces from our conversations to get a feel of what happened with his previous relationship.  He liked her more than she liked him.  Things between them turned into a fiery ball of bitter and resentment, and I was the rebound girl.  When we weren’t “official” (and this happened a few times), he couldn’t keep his hands off of me.  We’d walk around town holding hands and carrying on intimate conversations.  However, when were “official,” he was emotionally and physically distant.  So much so that when I spent a long weekend at his house – as his girlfriend – I stayed in the guest room.  After running hot and cold for close to a year, he knew that he liked me, but he wasn’t sure if it was just as a friend or as a romantic interest.    We broke up on the way back to the airport.  Within two hours of breaking up, he sent me an e-mail suggesting that we may have made a mistake.

During my visit, he received an offered his dream job.  He had not so patiently been waiting to hear back about a gig as a crew chief with a contractor in the Middle East for close to six weeks.  At one point, he had even received a rejection letter for this position, and before that he was told that he had falsified paperwork and would never be considered for a position with the company.  Given that he had two weeks to wrap up his loose ends before heading to Florida for several weeks worth of training and then onto three months on site, he was on the verge of a lot of life changes.  With so many life changes in the works I didn’t want to compound it with my girl crazy, or prolong the eventual if things were coming to a close.  So, I encouraged him to take some time and really think about what he wanted and needed.  I told him that he knew how to reach me if he wanted to give us another try, but if he realized that he wasn’t romantically interested in me then we needed to put an end to it.  So, I picked an arbitrary date to be the deciding point.  I figured that he’d need several months to ponder, adjust into the new job, ponder some more.  (But, seriously, since I’m a girl, I had hoped that it’d take a few months for him to realize how fabulous and awesome I was, and how much he wanted me in his life.)  This all happened back in March and with my birthday in June, my arbitrary date was July 1st.

I haven’t heard anything from him since March 22nd.  So, when I received the SPAM with his name on it, I was more than curious.  As soon as I saw the e-mail link forward onto website associated with pharmaceuticals, I knew I had been fooled. 

Fast forward to yesterday.  While out enjoying happy hour with Allie and Nicole, Nicole used her smart phone to check her e-mail.  She had received an e-mail from me with a promise of how to make $200 to $300 per day.  Great, so my e-mail address had been hacked.  I figured that I’d deal with it when I got home.  But, when I got home, I was locked out of my G-Mail account.  I didn’t get access to it until today.  And, I won’t be able to send e-mails until tomorrow.  In addition to spamming my best friends, ex-roommates, my boss, current and ex- co-workers, random people I had e-mailed about apartments and furniture, the property owners of the house I just officially moved out of yesterday, ex-boyfriends – including the July 1st guy – were all spammed. 

Oh, and for all of you who don’t know, I’ve posted personal ads on Craig’s List before.  I wouldn’t say that I’m a habitual poster, but when I’ve got nothing else going on sometimes I just can’t help myself.  When I do post a personal ad, (if I do respond to someone) I usually only respond to one person, so all of the random guys who have ever responded to one of my ads – you guessed it – they were spammed too.  So, I’m sorry Mr. Jazzmanjuice, I will try to never, ever send you SPAM again.  And, while I’m at it, I’ll try to never SPAM myself again, because – yeah – that happened too.

No comments:

Post a Comment