Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I don’t care if your carbon footprint is miniscule – YOU suck

I hate bicyclists.

Okay, let me specify.  I don’t hate ALL bicyclists.  But, while walking the streets of Portland, Ore., I see too many bicyclists who needlessly put me, as a pedestrian, or themselves in danger because at least 70 percent of bicyclists I come into contact with don’t obey Oregon’s Bicycle Laws.

Yes, Oregon has bicycle laws.

The problem I have is that as a pedestrian, I feel like a moving target for a small handful of bicyclists.  I’ve almost been hit several times.  Sometimes I’m not paying attention, but the most traumatic times have been when a) a group of bicyclists decided to go the wrong way around the roundabout on NE 7th and Tillamook and I had stepped off the curb in anticipation that they would follow the same rules as cars and use the roundabout correctly, b) I was standing on the edge of the corner on SW 5th and Stark when I had to lean back, so I wouldn’t shoulder bump a bicyclist who was taking the corner way too fast and way too close to the curb, and c) an SUV stops on the opposite side of the street to let me cross and a bicyclist passes on the right side of the SUV and almost hits me. 

These things happened to me and every other day I hear about other situations that have happened to my friends and coworkers.

It’s an entirely different situation when I get into a car.  I don’t own a car, so if I’m in a car I’m either driving a ZipCar or (more likely) I’m a passenger.  Last Thursday I saw a bicyclist nearly get himself hit.  Yes, it was entirely the bicyclist’s fault.  He didn’t stop for the red light on a bike only traffic signal at an I-5 South on ramp in North Portland.  The car had a green arrow and was actively turning onto 1-5 South when the bike ran through the light.  And, to make matters worse, it was dusk and neither the bike nor the biker had lights or anything reflective (clothing or otherwise). 

I see biker disobeying stop signs and traffic lights, not using bike lanes or green boxes where available, weaving between cars and lanes of traffic, hopping off and on sidewalks, riding the wrong way down a one way streets, and not using hand signals to indicate anything other than aggression.  Daily.  There are even some bicyclists who don’t stop or allow cars to pull to the side of the road for an ambulance (with lights and sirens blaring) to pass.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that none of these geniuses seem wear helmets.  Sure, helmets are only required on people under 16-years-old, but with how some of these people ride I’m surprised there aren’t more vegetables.  But, even then, the automobile driver would be SOL after the accident, because unless there are other mitigating factors relating to the accident the motorist would likely be saddled with the costs, fines, and emotional trauma resulting from the accident.

I’m not saying that all drivers follow the posted speed limit or come to a complete stop at every traffic sign.  (Who knows what happens when someone gets behind the wheel of a car?)  I’m not even saying that there are no law abiding bikers that stop for every traffic signal and always wear a helmet, * or that every pedestrian crosses at marked crosswalks and always looks both ways before crossing. 

What I am saying is that the average person behind the wheel of a car or bike, or even a pair of sneakers isn’t ALWAYS perfect.  But, so many bicyclists blatantly break the laws that are there to protect them and everyone else on the road, and they feel justified in doing it.  Bicyclists need to realize that rules are not made to be broken.   I don’t care if Henry Bicyclist saw Suzie Driver run a red light.  Suzie’s actions cannot be used by Henry as justification to disregard traffic signals. 

It doesn’t work that way.

Maybe the City of Portland should post a reminder to bicyclists to abide by traffic signs and signals, because the current statutes are just empty threats or worse – “suggestions.” 

Or, better yet, the Oregon Legislature should increase the base fine associated with Class D traffic violation and the Portland Police Department should be given the budget to enforce these statutes.  There are enough bikers in the Portland metro area that I think that failure or inability to enforce biking laws has become a problem and a serious pain in my ass.


*When I see a bicyclist wearing a helmet and politely waiting at a four way stop sign behind two cars – I want to run into the middle of the street and hug them, because I’m so proud of their manners and the great job they’re doing in sharing the road with motorists and pedestrians alike.  This happens so infrequently that I might just give in to my passions.  Wait.  If I do that, I hope the biker doesn’t get offended.  Okay, maybe I won’t do that… 

No comments:

Post a Comment